My To Zoo List

    

How My To Zoo List Came To Be

    One of the biggest blessings in life is finding your passion. Lucky for me, I found mine at a young age: animals. I can't remember a time in my life where I haven't surrounded myself with animals. Growing up, I would get any pet my parents would let me have whether it be a fish, hamster, bunny, or even hermit crabs. I did diligent research before every new pet, making sure I had the proper equipment, tools, and procedures to provide them with the best life they could have. I spent my free time researching different species of animals and of course watching Zoboomafoo! I was fascinated with all animals around the world and how they came to be.

Me and my first dog Snowy
       Growing up in the Bay Area, there are plenty of  habitats to go explore and see native wildlife. To see exotics and non-native wildlife, there are plenty of zoological facilities within a 2-3 hours radius as well. My family took every opportunity to go to the zoo and see all the different animals. This did not just extend to zoos near us. Whenever my family went on trips, whether to a friends wedding in Chicago or visiting my grandparents in Minnesota, we always set aside a day to go and explore the local zoo. 

Tagging a chipmunk for a mark- 
recapture study in my Mammalogy class

       My love of zoos and animals only grew as I went through college. I chose to go to school across the country in Maine and study Animal Behavior. I spent the next four years studying the behavior of animals in depth and understanding why they behave the way that they do. An animal behavior degree sets you up to work with animals in a variety of settings such as service dog training, wildlife rehab, and veterinary services to everything in between. Because of my educational background, I have been fortunate enough to work with a variety of animals and expand my knowledge with hands on work. 

    In the summer of 2019 I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work as a behavioral husbandry intern at the Nashville Zoo. I got to work with a variety of ambassador animal species including a Black Palm Cockatoo, Binturong, Red-tailed Boa, and a bunch of other species from a variety of taxa. To say it was the best time of my life is an understatement. This internship solidified my love of working with animals in zoological settings. I found my passion and ultimate dream job! I loved the training, the husbandry, and educational side, along with the sense of purpose I got from doing it. I loved going to work everyday and at the end of the day isn't that all that truly matters? Returning back to school for my senior year that fall I had one goal, become a zookeeper.

Lucille the Black Palm Cockatoo
Willow the Binturong
Enrique the Red-tailed Boa
      A zookeeper right? One of those jobs we dream of having as a kid where we fantasize just being able to play with animals all day. Looking back who is really surprised I chose this career path? Some how though, as we grow up, were told by many that its not a viable career where you'll be able to support yourself. Sometimes that can be true, but I am glad I decided to listen to my parents when they told me I could be anything I wanted to be. I would rather not feel I have ever worked a day in my life doing something I love than dreading my job. No one ever said following your heart would be easy but it is so worth it in the end. Little did I know my plans would be thrown off the course they had been on for 21 years.

Majesty and I at a rest stop in Tahoe
    When the pandemic hit, all plans were put on hold. My school unexpectedly closed, I was stranded across the country with all my stuff, and zoos closed down, stopped intern programs, and layed off staff. It was a hard time for everyone and it completely crushed me for a bit. Thankfully, I had friends and family to lean on and they really stepped up to help support me and my dream. I moved in with my best friend who lived in Massachusetts for four months (best thing ever!) while I finished up my senior year and graduated virtually. What's next after that when everything is closed and no one is hiring? Move home of course! In July, I drove across the country with my myriad of plants and rat Majesty along with all my college belongings back to California.

    Since zoos were not hiring I decided to apply for any job related to animals. I fortunately and very thankfully started a job as a veterinary assistant and I have been doing that for the last few months. I help dogs and cats feel better and stay up to date on their health. While it may not be a job at a zoo, I am incredibly grateful and would not trade the experience I am getting in veterinary medicine. This adventure is forming me into a more well rounded individual. Plus, I love what I am doing! I also can not understate how fortunate I am to have a job during the pandemic. This whole experience is another stepping stone on the path to my dream job. 

Trying on a junior keeper vest to help live out my dream
    This all brings us to today and why I started this blog. I have visited so many zoos both in the United States and abroad and I want to be able to share what I have learned and seen with all of you (thanks for the idea dad). Zoological facilities can be wonderful places that bring wonder into a child's eyes and help inspire the next generation to care for our planet. Zoos are an amazing way to help teach people about animals they would not normally encounter everyday. Like everything, there are good and bad zoos and some people might not know the difference; that is where this blog can help. This is my way of being able to make a difference and help people learn about this beautiful world and the animals we share it with. I am no expert by any means, but I'm hoping to provide you with some educational content that can help teach you more about zoos and the animals within them. I am always learning and cannot wait to share what I know with you!

The Logo

    When designing the logo for My To Zoo List, I wanted it to be representative of our planet and the animals on it. Did I nail it? Not only do I have the blurred watercolor background that represents land and water, I also wanted a variety of animals represented. Often, zoos will use pictures of well known animals to draw people in such as giraffes, lions, etc. While my access to out of the box animals during the design of my logo was limited, I still wanted a variety of animals that were representative of the planet as a whole. There is at least one animal from every continent circling the logo. Additionally, I wanted to ensure that both land and sea animals were included. I am so excited with how it all turned out! I had no clue what I wanted going into it, but I love what I was able to come up with! Thank you for coming along with me on this journey and I am excited to see where it leads!




Comments

  1. I am so excited to learn more about zoos and their animals. It seems like you are a fountain of knowledge! Also, love the logo and all the personal photos! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experiences, sounds like great adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to subscribe to this Elissa. Will be great to learn about each animal. Congrats on this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment